Sunday 1 December 2013

For Christmas and the New Year

Just a very short post to wish all my readers a very happy holiday season and a wonderful new year.

For me, 2013 has been bittersweet. This year has given us many good moments but it has also brought many challenges for MOH (My Other Half) and I. Life will insist on throwing curve balls and yet we somehow managed to keep catching them, throwing them back and still be in the game. While we may be a bit weary, we are still definitely playing and playing to win.

MOH always tells me that I have a "laser-like focus" and once I decide to do something, I give it my all. I hope so because I know there are a few more curve balls ahead and I want to be able to go the distance. I also want to have some fun in this game - to keep seeing the good in life, to continually feel grateful for what we already have and to simply enjoy ourselves. For me this is about doing more things not just because I have to or I should, but simply because I want to and I can. On that note (no pun intended), I have decided to take up singing lessons. I'm not doing it because I aspire to be an opera singer or pop star (though if it did lead to a regular gig with a band in some jazz lounge it would be great). I'm doing it because I know it's something that will make me happy. I have come to see that despite doing everything we're 'supposed' to and following the 'rule book', life can still throw you for a loop and turn you upside down. So to hell with it all! I've wasted far too much time on "should haves", "could haves", feeling guilty, being sad and having regrets. I want MOH and I to do things and have experiences that bring us joy and contentment, no matter how big or small. These are what will see us through the dark times and remind us of how blessed we are.

Here's to a brand new year and a fresh start. Wishing you all a truly happy 2014!

"Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog. Make sure everything you do is so completely crazy it's unbelievable..." 
Matilda, Roald Dahl


No comments:

Post a Comment