Saturday 1 September 2012

About Us

"Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, love gives us something extraordinary."* Anonymous

This month, MOH (My Other Half) and I will be celebrating our tenth wedding anniversary. Definitely a significant milestone, especially by today's standards. Extra special because it is the birthday of our commitment to each other and the happiest day of my life thus far.

MOH and I first met all those years ago through mutual friends. I thought he was quite nice. In fact, so nice that I tried to set him up with one of my good friends. He thought I was looking at him all night (if I was, I was probably scoping him out for my friend). In any case, my friend declined the introduction, he somehow got my number, we bonded over a mutual love of "The Muppets" and haven't stopped talking since. The rest, as they say, is history.

Fast forward ten plus years and not much has changed. We're older, supposedly wiser, slightly rounder, but we're still just as in love as ever (if not more). Despite what you may think, this isn't a romanticised version of our relationship. I certainly do not believe it is like one of those storybook or Hollywood movie romances. I wouldn't want it to be. They're not real and therefore, not built to last. Love, especially long lasting love, is not about pretty pictures and riding off into the sunset together. It is about the strength, courage and commitment to live the "ever after". What  I do believe is that ours is a relationship that is grounded in a solid and very real foundation of deep love, genuine care, mutual respect, being the best of friends, teamwork, compromise, resilience, fierce loyalty and unwavering support. I am extremely proud of our relationship and the couple that we've become. I am also proud of the people we've become because we have brought the best out in each other during our time together.

In this cynical world where marriage is just as easy to get out of as it is to get into, everything we've shared and everything we've been through has only strengthened my belief in us. Every step we take together increases my confidence that we will be one of those who stand the test of time and that this one is for keeps. While we are not perfect and neither is our relationship (after all this is real life and not a fairytale), together we are just the perfect fit.  

A very happy ten-year anniversary to MOH who truly is my other half!

"Grow old along with me! 
The best is yet to be..."
Robert Browning







* I've exercised some poetic license and altered this quote slightly so it is a more accurate reflection of my thinking and what I am feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment